Monday, February 10, 2014

The Wolverine

The Wolverine
Rating: PG-13
Time: 126 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy
Year: 2013
My Rating: 7.5
Anyone that knows me is aware that I am a HUGE fan of superhero movies. I have always enjoyed the X-Men movies. It took me a while to see The Wolverine as I wasn't too impressed with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But I was surprised at how well this movie turned out.
I thought that this movie would happen in the time period between where X-Men Origins left of and X-Men began. I wasn't sure how much they would fit in there, or how a conflict would be portrayed. I was happy when it happened AFTER X-Men: The Last Stand. It brought some interesting aspects to the character, Logan, and how he was handling life after having killed the woman he loved. 
Hugh Jackman was incredible as always, doing a fantastic job as Wolverine. I enjoyed the new mix of characters, some mutants and some human, that were added to the film. It helped to keep things fresh, while still followed the pattern of mutant/human relationships found in the earlier movies. The villains in this film were also great, although I would have liked more background on the character of the Viper. It was also nice to be in a new setting, Japan. All five of the other films take place in the United States, it made me wonder about mutants elsewhere in the world. It was nice to have that change of scenery.
Something to know about this movie is that it IS a violent one. Not the most violent one that I've seen, but someone with a week stomach for violence would not to well watching this. There were parts where I was grabbing my husband flinching because of the pain being inflicted on characters. Ouch. 
I was not bothered by the amount of language and cursing in this movie, except that Wolverine just had to go and drop the 'F' bomb. I guess if any X-Men character were to say that word, it would be Logan, but still, I don't think it belongs in a PG-13 movie. 
On a scale of 1 (Terrible) to 10 (Amazing) I give this movie a 7.5. It was one that I enjoyed and would like to watch again, but it is not necessarily a movie that needs to be on my DVD shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment