Monday, March 24, 2014

Ender's Game

Ender's Game
Rating: PG-13
Time: 114 Minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure
Year: 2013
My Rating: 8.5
Orson Scott Card wrote the book Ender's Game, and it came out in 1985. I first read the book three years ago. It is one of those books that is pretty hard to put down. Card wrote so well that it was easy to have a picture of what was happening, even though he didn't  go into ridiculous amounts of detail. Even though I am a huge fan of science fiction in movies and tv, this was the first science fiction book I had ever read. And it was incredible.
The book was so fantastic and had so much information that happened, I was scared about how the movie would turn out. With the Harry Potter films, they left out characters and important things that happened to make the movies short enough. This book is amazing, and I really wanted the movie to be amazing, too. I was very impressed and pleased at how well the movie turned out.
There are a lot of things not in the movie. For example, in the books it goes through so many different games that Ender and his team played in the room without gravity. They only showed two of these battle games in the movie. But it was enough to show the information that the story needed to continue. In the book, Ender starts out as 5 years old. The book spans many years. It would be impossible to have filmed the movie over so many years, so in the movie, Ender is close to the same age at the beginning and at the end of the film. And that is ok, I understand why they had to do that.
Asa Butterfield played Ender. I had only seen this kid in 'The Boy in Striped Pajamas' and 'Hugo.' He did a good job in both, but children tend not to be the best of actors simply because they are still learning. I was really impressed with his performance as Ender. He did a spectacular job and I loved it. I was also pleased with Harrison Ford in the film. I feel like he is really only good at playing one type of character, and he did really well with this one even though it was a little different than his norm. 
I want to own this movie! It was so greatly done and so fun to watch. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I hope you enjoy this movie as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment